The City of Coachella (City) was incorporated on December 13, 1946, and encompasses approximately 32 square miles in Riverside County, more specifically the Eastern Coachella Valley. Shortly after incorporation, in the summer of 1951, low water pressure in the area prevented local businesses from operating efficiently, thereby causing the formation of the City’s Water Department. In 1954, the City passed a bond to purchase and consolidate three private water companies: Abdelnous Water Company, Coachella Water Works, and Highway Water Company. The City Water Department was established in 1957, is administered and managed by the Utilities Manager for the Coachella Water Authority (CWA).
The City of Coachella is fortunate to own and operate a system that supplies water to all of its customers. Their system comprises more than 10 million gallons of storage capacity, which is enough to provide water and fire protection for the entire city.
Most recently, CWA was awarded $350,000 from the California Department of Water Resources to fund conservation programs consisting of turf rebates and smart irrigation-weather based controllers and other water saving incentives. For more information about conservation, please visit Conserve Coachella.