Formed in 1953, Mission Springs Water District (MSWD) is a county water district and special district with one simple mission – to provide, protect and preserve our most valuable resource: water. MSWD services Desert Hot Springs proper, parts of North Palm Springs and unincorporated Riverside County areas.
MSWD began with 100,000 feet of pipelines, five water wells and two reservoirs. It covered one square mile but expanded rapidly absorbing parts of the Coachella Valley County Water District, the West Palm Springs Village and San Gorgonio Mutual Water Company systems.
In 1972, MSWD built the Alan L. Horton Wastewater Treatment Plant in 1972 to provide sewer services to our customers. The Horton Plant has been expanded four times and has a treatment capacity of two million gallons of wastewater per day.
Today, Mission Springs Water District is comprised of more than 1.25 million feet of pipelines, 13 water wells and 24 reservoirs serving as area of 135 square miles with a team of over 50 employees.